Healthy York County Coalition
In 2007-2008 the Healthy York County Coalition initiated its fifth community health assessment since 1994. Research for the health assessment incorporates a three pronged approach including a review of demographic and secondary data such as vital statistics; implementation of a random telephone survey of 600 York County residents; and the facilitation of focus groups.
The coalition is concentrating special attention on the issues of behavioral health and substance abuse services for young people in York County. Focus group participants include professionals serving youth, parents of adolescents, and young people themselves. By exploring the behavioral health and substance abuse issues from a variety of perspectives, the coalition hopes to generate a comprehensive understanding of the needs and identify what role the coalition might play in addressing those concerns.
Community health assessment results will be released to the community in the fall of 2008. This information will serve as the basis for establishing new partnerships in community problem solving and capacity building.
Healthy York County Coalition Taskforce Accomplishments, Fiscal 2007-08
Aligning Forces for Quality
- Identified three chronic conditions (diabetes, coronary artery disease and heart failure) and five quality measures related to these three chronic conditions.
- Physicians will analyze their adherence to these quality measures and report information about their performance to the public via an AF4Q website.
- Received a technical assistance mini-grant to implement training sessions for health care partners on motivation interviewing.
- Recruited and surveyed a panel of 481 people with diabetes, coronary artery disease and congestive heart failure learn essential information about physician-patient communications, patient understanding of health risks and disease knowledge, patient activation, use of health quality information, health literacy and demographics.
- Launched a local AF4Q website for South Central Pennsylvania.
- Developed a strategic communication plan that aims to increase consumer awareness of the problem of chronic disease within the community, support specific areas of improvement among the target population and improve health literacy throughout the remainder of the grant.
- Received an expansion grant to implement quality improvement initiatives for patients with diabetes, coronary artery disease and heart failure who are receiving services in an inpatient setting.
Housing Task Force
- Initiated the development of a county-wide housing advisory group to address the full continuum of housing services from homelessness to affordable housing development.
Oral Health Task Force
- Partnered with statewide dental associations and community based foundations to provide public education to Pennsylvania residents about the benefits of public water fluoridation.
- Assisted the York City Bureau of Health in implementing a dental sealant program for children in the City of York.
Healthy Lifestyles Task Force
- Partnered with the York County Library System to promote and implement the Keystone Active Zone "Catch the Activity Bug" campaign. Approximately 8,500 children and families followed clues that were outlined in an Activity Bug field guides to locate up to thirty letterboxes hidden throughout York County.
Health Literacy Task Force
- Created a new task force to research best practices in the area of health literacy and make recommendations for community based improvements. Health Literacy is the degree to which individuals have the capacity to obtain, process, and understand basic health information and services needed to make appropriate health decisions
County Health Department Task Force
- Provided the York County Commissioners and commissioner candidates with detailed information about local public health risks and projected costs for creating a county wide public health department.
- Initiated efforts to expand the community's understanding of the role of public health.