Central Penn Parent presents annual awards
Three WellSpan staff members were recently named Healthcare Heroes by Central Penn Parent.
- David Turkewitz, MD, chairman and education coordinator, pediatrics, WellSpan York Hospital—Physician of the Year
- Michelle Shriner, RN, BSN, OCN, nurse navigator, Adams Cancer Center—Breast Cancer Care Giver of the Year
- Melany Rabideau, technical analysis, WellSpan Medical Group Information Services—Future of Healthcare Award Winner
Turkewitz has been involved with pediatrics in Pennsylvania for 35 years, including 13 in York.
“I love being a pediatrician. While I don’t mind some time off, given the option, on most days, I’d rather just come to work,” he said. “I enjoy all facets of my work, but probably most of all, I enjoy being a clinician.”
He added: “Winning this award is really nice, but the award does not define me. I know I could not have achieved this recognition without the ability to work side-by-side with so many wonderful and talented individuals, the support of WellSpan and a community that is receptive to the needs of children and families.”
Michelle Shriner has been the nurse navigator at Adams Cancer Center for six years.
“Winning the Healthcare Hero Award was completely unexpected,” said Shriner. “Of course, you don’t do your job to win awards. I care about others, and I try to help them get through a traumatic time in their lives.
“As a nurse navigator, I can definitely see the impact I have on patients. I truly am on a journey with my patients.”
Rabideau has worked for WellSpan for nearly three years. She said: “It was an honor to be included in an event recognizing so many well-deserving, accomplished professionals.
“I want to thank each of them, and the many other role models for influencing aspiring healthcare heroes like myself. I feel lucky to be given opportunities to learn from the best at WellSpan.”
WellSpan Healthcare Heroes finalists included:
- Dustin Matthews, MSN, RN, CCRN-CSC, WellSpan York Hospital—Nurse of the Year
- Deborah Nandor-Levin, RN, SANE-A, SANE-P, CFN, WellSpan York Hospital—Pediatric and Pediatric Specialties Hero
- Chris Echterling, MD, associate medical director, quality and innovation—Physician of the Year
- Timothy McKee, MD, FACS, Gettysburg Surgical Associates—Breast Cancer Care Giver of the Year
For a complete list of winners and finalists go to www.centralpennparent.com.