WellSpan employs a full complement of board-certified, fellowship-trained medical oncologists and fellowship-trained surgical oncologists and gynecological oncologists who specialize in the following services:
WellSpan cancer centers offer the latest proven cancer therapies, including:
- Partial Breast Radiation: This form of therapy includes Mammosite® and external beam protocols in collaboration with the Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center at Johns Hopkins
- Conformal Radiation Therapy: A protocol that matches the shape of the radiation beam to the shape of the tumor. This reduces the surronding normal tissues' exposure to radiation.
- Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy: This therapeutic method allows maximum delivery of radiation to the tumor while sparing healthy surrounding tissue.
- Image-Guided Radiation Therapy: A protocol that uses "real-time" imaging to ensure radiation is delivered exactly to the prescribed site.
- Stereotactic Radiosurgery: A localized radiation therapy for brain tumors.
- Prostate Seed Implants: A protocol appropriate for certain patients with prostate cancer, this therapy entails placement of radiation sources into the prostate. This therapy has been highly successful in carefully selected patients. WellSpan physicians have performed more than 500 of these procedures.
- Sentinel Node Surgery: Surgeons at WellSpan were intimately involved in the development of this technique in a nationwide clinical trial and more than 2,000 patients have undergone sentinel node operations at WellSpan facilities. Candidates for this type of surgery include patients with some types of breast cancer and certain patients with malignant melanoma.