Open Heart Surgery Infections - Patient Information
If you are among the 1,300 individuals who may have been exposed to this bacteria during your open-heart surgery at WellSpan York Hospital, we want to make sure you get all the information, care and treatment you may need related to this issue.
To that end, this web page is intended to provide you with the information you need and to offer additional resources on this issue.
If you have questions or concerns about this issue, please contact one our dedicated nurse case managers, toll-free, at (866) 217-2970.
Have you received letters or phone calls from us regarding this issue?
If you’ve received letters or phone calls from WellSpan regarding this issue, then you are among those who may have been exposed to this bacteria during open-heart surgery at WellSpan York Hospital.
Your health and well-being are our top priority. We are committed to supporting you through the following services:
We have dedicated nurse case managers available to help you...
- We have a team of dedicated nurse case managers available to talk with you about this issue, should you have any questions or need any additional information.
- They are your dedicated resource for ensuring you get the care and treatment you need related to this issue, at no cost to you.
- If you have any questions or concerns related to this issue, please call one of our dedicated nurse case managers, toll-free, at (866) 217-2970.
We have provided information and guidance to your primary care physician...
- We have reached out to physicians across our community to ensure they are aware of this issue and have the information they need in caring for you.
- If you received letters or phone calls from us regarding this issue, we recommend you have a conversation with your family doctor to discuss symptoms and begin watching for any potential sign of infection.
- We have also provided dedicated resources for physicians who may need additional information or advice regarding monitoring, care and treatment options for patients.
We have a special, dedicated NTM clinic to treat you if you need follow-up care...
- We have provided a special NTM clinic for patients who need further follow-up.
- WellSpan’s NTM clinic offers comprehensive medical evaluations, which include documenting clinical history, conducting a focused physical examination, and, if clinically appropriate, providing laboratory testing.
- The clinic evaluations are recommended for patients who had the following specific procedures:
- Tissue or mechanical heart valves,
- Vascular grafts, or
- Left ventricular assist devices (LVADs).
- If you had one of these procedures between Oct. 1, 2011 and July 24, 2015, and you have not yet been evaluated by a WellSpan Infectious Disease clinician, please call (866) 217-2970 to schedule an appointment.
We will provide you with ongoing care throughout this time of uncertainty...
- We sincerely regret any distress this issue has caused you and your family.
- Please know that we are committed to ensuring you receive all the information, care and treatment you need regarding this issue, at no cost to you.
- If you have any questions or concerns, please call one of our nurse case managers at (866) 217-2970.
State and Federal Resources Regarding NTM Bacteria and Heater-Cooler Units
European Resources Regarding NTM Bacteria and Infections in Open-Heart Surgery Patients
Information Regarding an NTM Outbreak at Greenville Health System in South Carolina
This webpage is intended only for patients of WellSpan York Hospital and their physicians. If you are a WellSpan Good Samaritan Hospital open-heart patient, or you are a physician/APC of a WellSpan Good Samaritan open-heart patient, please visit our dedicated NTM webpage at www.WellSpan.org/NTM.